Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Death Run 2008


This past Sunday, my training schedule informed me that I had one very long run, and then another short run. Unfortunately, as is the case for most age groupers, work interfered and I had to alter my plans. My first of three night shifts was Saturday night and the first night always knocks me on my ass. Decided I would take the day off (scheduled for Monday) and move my run to Monday -- mistake #1. Woke up on Monday after 5 hours of restless sleep and headed out the door.... Not able to do the full workout due to time constraints (13 hour shifts do that to your day) I had settled on a two hour run. It was 3:00 in the afternoon, sunny 96 degrees, 60% humidity - it was one of those days that had 'Tready' written all over it, mistake # 2. I thought it would make me tough.
From the very first step I knew it would be a fight against my body/mother nature the whole way.
By 20 minutes, I had almost finished my two fuel belt bottles - it holds four and I decided I didn't need them, mistake # 3. Yet, I kept running...

By the time I decided to turn/cut my run short, I was needing to partake in a little ritual called "ten & ones" and 'squeezing my cheeks' to keep everything in.
I had no choice but to stop early and walk the last km in.... I was dizzy, goose bumpy and had the worst headache ever. Once I was home, I took off my soaked clothes and laid naked on the floor in front of the open fridge for 15 minutes. Not one of my better moments. I had one hour to take in as much fluid as possible (ended up being close to 3 litres) before I had to head off to my last night shift -- perfect recipe for recovery.....

An old coach of mine used to say that it was a good sign to have a horrible long run close to goal race time.... mission accomplished.

5 comments:

Sparks said...

Aint nothin' wrong with tens & ones!!!!!

IronLa said...

If a death run is an indicator of a successful race, then I guess we'll both be rockin' in Kona!
Sounds much like the Death Run of 2007 in Clermont...probably not so wise three days before the race.

Meredith said...

damn girl! that has F*N AZ summer written all over it! YOU ARE GONNA LOVE WINTER! so nice to do your long runs and rides during the midday hours...

Maggs said...

Yikes, that does not sound like a fun run. Hope you recovered from it. I don't think Kona should be that bad!

Unknown said...

Yikes! That is a toasty run. I admire you for juggling the work and racing life. It's not easy but when it's important we find a way.
See ya soon,
Tracy